The Friends of the Tompkins County Public Library, founded in 1946, is a not-for-profit membership organization for people interested in books and libraries. Our purpose is to stimulate public interest in the library, purchase library materials, and support other cultural and educational programs in Tompkins County. We are able to accomplish many of our goals by the distribution of funds raised during our twice-yearly book sales. Be sure to visit our Book Sale site.
The public is welcome to attend the monthly meetings of the Friends Board of Directors which meets the second Thursday of each month at 7:00 PM at the Tompkins County Public Library.
- Member-only Pre-Sale, Tuesday, Oct. 4, 6:00-7:00pm
(Click here for more information.)
- 2016 Fall Book Sale beginning Saturday, Oct. 8, 8am – 8pm (Click here for Book Sale hours.)
- 2016 Friends Annual meeting, Wednesday, November 16, 12:30-2:00pm
We’re looking for more good Friends!
“Frederick Douglass taught that literacy is the path from slavery to freedom. There are many kinds of slavery and many kinds of freedom. But reading is still the path.” – Carl Sagan
- Anyone interested in helping others find that path is invited to join the Friends of the Library
- Greater numbers make our voice stronger, as we advocate for libraries, literacy, and our community.
- Members are always welcome to volunteer, but you do not need to volunteer to be a member.
Use of Money
After meeting Book Sale expenses, we give money to the Tompkins County Public Library and Finger Lakes Library System. Check out our recent donation to TCPL. We also give money to not-for-profit organizations in Tompkins County for reading-related materials, give educational grants to residents of Tompkins County pursuing library degrees, and contribute to staff development and continuing education of library personnel.
The Friends has a special Endowment Fund designed to provide an opportunity for tax-exempt public libraries and reading rooms to obtain funds for special projects. These libraries and reading rooms must be within the district covered by the Finger Lakes Library System and serve residents of Tompkins County.
Learn more about our various Grants programs here.
Tompkins County Public Library
|Finger Lakes Library System|